Honor has launched another ultra-affordable phone called Play 8, but don’t get mistaken – it is not completely new, it is a re-badged Honor 8S for the Chinese market. Powered by the Helio A22 chipset, it has one camera on the back and a basic tall panel, but comes with a very aggressive CNY599 ($120) price tag.
The display is a 5.71-inch LCD with somewhat thick bezels and a waterdrop notch on the top. The resolution is HD+ and the exact ratio is 19:9.
The camera on the back has a 13 MP sensor and an f/1.8 lens and brings some neat features like HDR. The front-facing snapper does 5 MP stills and has an f/2.2 lens. Honor uses the latter with the Android face-unlocking tech to compensate for the lack of a fingerprint scanner.
The Honor Play 8 has 2GB of RAM and 32GB of storage, which you can expand by up to 512 GB via a microSD card. The phone actually has a triple slot so that won’t cost you the dual SIM functionality (complete with Dual 4G).
The phone runs EMUI 9.0 based on Android Pie and packs in a 3,020 mAh battery. Sadly you get the dated microUSB port and no fast charging support, but that’s about what you can expect at this price point.
Honor Play 8 Specifications
- 2G bands: GSM, GPRS, EDGE 900 / 1800 / 1900 MHz.
- 3G bands: UMTS, WCDMA, HSDPA 900 / 2100 MHz
- 4G bands: LTE 1(2100) / 3(1800) / 5(850) / 40(2300) / 41(2500)
- Speed: HSPA, LTE-A
- Announced: July 2019
- Market Availability: July 2019
- Android 9 Pie + EMUI 9
- Dimensions:Â 157.2 X 76.25 X 8.05 mm
- Weight: g
- Colours: Black
- Physical Build: Plastic#
- SIM Type: Nano-SIM, Dual SIM
- Type: IPS LCD screen with a waterdrop notch.
- Size: 5.71 inches
- Resolution: 720 x 1520 pixels, 19:9 aspect ratio
- Processor Type: 64-bit, 1.8 GHz Octa-core, Cortex-A53
- Processor Name: Mediatek Helio A22
- Graphics Processor: Â â€Ž
- RAM: 2 GB
- Internal Storage: 32 GB
- External Storage: microSD, up to 512 GB (dedicated slot)
- Rear Camera: 13 MP single camera, f1.8 Aperture, LED flash, 1080p@30fps video recording
- Front-facing Camera: 5 MP, f2.2 Aperture, Face Recognition, 1080p@30fps video capture.
- Music Support: PCM, AAC / AAC + / eAAC + / MP3 / AMR â€“ NB / WB / APE
- Audio: 3.5 mm audio jack
- Loudspeaker: Mono speakers
- Video Support: H.264/MP4/MPEG4 player
- FM Radio:
- Digital Compass: No.
- Proximity Sensor:
- Ambient Light Sensor:
- Barometer: No.
- Pedometer: No.
- Heart Rate Monitor: No.
- Gyroscope (G-Sensor): No.
- Fingerprint Scanner:
- Face Unlock: Yes.
- Iris Scanner: No.
- Motion Sensing / Gesture Control: No.
- Voice Control:
- Intelligent Digital Assistant:
- Infra-red Senor: No.
- Bluetooth: v4.2, A2DP
- WiFi: Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n, hotspot
- GPS: Yes, A-GPS, GLONASS.
- USB: microUSB v2.0.
- NFC: No.
- Battery Type and Capacity: Non-Removable Lithium-Ion 3020 mAh
- Battery Charging: 5V/1A Standard Charging
- Reverse Charging: No.
Honor Play 8 Price and Market Availability
- Country Availability: China, Global (Honor 8S)
- Price: $120, CNY599. That is about N43,000.
Honor announced the Play 8 in a collaboration with D.Phone, a Chinese smartphone retailer, but you can also purchase it at Vmall, TMall, JD and Suning, among others.
TellForce Blog Buyerâ€™s Guide Verdict
The Honor Play 8 is an entry-level Android smartphone with a $120 price tag. The specs and features are not bad at all for the price.
Honor Play 8 Review Rating
We are yet to review the Honor Play 8 and so do not have a review rating for it yet. This section will be updated with our review rating and a link to the review page, as soon as we have a review ready.
Disclaimer: While we take the pains to ensure accuracy, we can not guarantee that the specs andÂ information on this page about the Honor Play 8 are 100% correct. If you think that any information for the current phone is wrong or missing, pleaseÂ contact us.
Our Buyerâ€™s Guide Verdict is recommendation that we make based on our evaluation the specs of the device. It is a general guide designed to help you understand how much value a smartphone offers for its price. It is not a stamp of quality assessment or an endorsement of the device or of the manufacturers. Be sure to ask questions and use your judgement when buying any device, as TellForce Blog may not be held responsible for your buying decisions.