How to Recover Your Snapchat Account
Losing your account can be so painful especially if its one of your social meeia account such as Snapchat. Whether you have forgotten your password or someone has hacked into your account, losing access to your account in any scenario is frustrating. In this post, you are going to learn how you can recover your Snapchat account if you have lost access to it and what you can do to make it more secure.
How to Recover Your Snapchat Account
Before you start the recovery process of your account, you should know what has made you lose access to your account. Sometimes we just forget our password. Other times, someone might have hacked our account and logged us out of it. We are going to see how we can recover access to our accounts in both these cases.
How to Recover Snapchat Account if You Have Lost Your Password
If you have forgotten your Snapchat accountâ€™s password and cannot log into it, you can easily regain access to your account by resetting the password. Here is how you can reset your account password.
- Launch Snapchat on your phone and tap on login. Now, enter your username or email and then tap on the â€œForgot your Password?â€ button.
- Now, choose whether you want to recover your account using your phone or email. Letâ€™s say we chose email. On the next page, enter your email ID and then tap on the â€œSubmitâ€ button.
- Now, Snapchat will send you an email with the link to reset the password. Tap on the link and enter your new password to reset it.
- In case you chose the recovery by phone option. Enter your phone number and then choose whether you want to use the message or call option. I prefer the message option as it is easy to use.
- Now, all you need to do is enter the OTP that you have received and then enter the new password that you want to use.
How to Recover Snapchat Account if You Have Forgotten Your Username and Email
If you have not used Snapchat in a while and are trying to get back in the game it might be hard if you donâ€™t remember your username. The easy way to recover your account is to use your email instead of the username and then use the forgot password method described above. However, what happens if you have forgotten the email ID that you used to create that account. Well, here is what you can do about it.
- Make a list of all email IDs that you have. Most of the people who forget their Snapchat email ID have multiple email IDs and simply donâ€™t remember which one they used to create the account. So, make sure you have listed all your email IDs.
- Now, launch the app on your phone and then proceed through the recovery process. Use the recovery by email option and enter all your emails one by one. The emails that are not associated with any email account will result in an error reading â€œEmail address is invalid.â€.
Repeat the same process until you find the right email ID and then use it to reset the password and recover your account.
How to Recover Stolen Snapchat Account
Recovering a stolen Snapchat Account is not easy. How hard the recovery will be, depends on the changes that hacker has made to your account. If you find out that your account info has been leaked in a data dump (haveibeenpwned is a good place to check), all you need to do is change your password so that no one can access your account.
If someone has already accessed your account and changed the password, you can use the password reset route to take back the control of your account. However, if someone has changed not only the recovery email ID but also the phone number associated with that account, then you can do nothing about it. The only thing left to do is to contact Snapchat Help, fill up a form and hope that they recover the account for you.
How to Secure Your Snapchat Account
Itâ€™s always better to secure your Snapchat account from the start than to wait for a tragedy to strike and then scramble to deal with it later. There are a few steps that you can take to make sure that your account is always secure and thereâ€™s a very low probability of anyone getting into it without your knowledge.
Make Sure Your Email ID and Number is Updated
Creating an account on Snapchat is pretty easy. All you need to do is to enter your name, birthday, and either a phone number or email ID. In fact, it can be any email ID and phone number and you donâ€™t have to use a real one.
While this is great if you donâ€™t want to share your personal email ID and number with Snapchat, it also means that if you lose your password or someone hacks into your account, there will be no way to get it back. To make sure that your email ID and phone number is updated and verified, open the app go to Settings and see if you have done it or not.
Enable Two-Factor Authentication
While you are in Snapchatâ€™s settings, it would be also great if you enable the two-factor authentication as it decreases the chances of anyone breaking into your account. To enable it, open Settings tap on â€œTwo-Factor Authenticationâ€ and then follow the steps to enable it.
Use Best Practices for Passwords
While this is common sense, not many people adhere to it. You should always follow the best practices for creating a password. That means creating different passwords for different accounts and using a long and random password with various combinations of numbers, letters, and special characters.
Unless you have a beautiful mind, it will be impossible to do it manually so I suggest that you try a password manager app. There are tons of good passwords managers on the market and you can choose one that you like.
Conclusion: Take Control of Your Snapchat Account
I hope this article was able to help you recover your Snapchat account. If you take away anything from this article, I would like it to be the point that you should make it harder for others to steal your account. Do let us know your thoughts on the article, by writing in the comments section below.