Finally, we get it. Despite all the S10 leaks, the company ensured it made that of its foldable phone a bit mysterious. Well the Samsung Galaxy Fold has finally been made official. The device combines the portability of phones with the utility of tablets together and that makes it what I want exactly. It is coming to the market in two months time.
The Galaxy Fold sports a 4.6-inch external screen and a 7.3” foldable screen on the inside. There’s a unique hinge with interlocked gears that make opening and closing the device smooth (and improve durability too). The hinge can be a custom colour, allowing for some personalization.
App Continuity means that whatever you were looking on the small screen instantly expands to the large screen when you open the Fold. Samsung worked with Google and Android devs to perfect this feature.
The large screen on the Galaxy Fold enables 3-way multitasking. WhatsApp, Microsoft Office and YouTube Premium will support this out of the box.
To handle the extra load, Samsung picked a “7nm chipset” – the Snapdragon 855 – with 12GB of RAM and 512GB storage (fast UFS 3.0 storage to boot). All of this is powered by two batteries with a combined capacity of 4,380mAh.
There are 6 cameras, but the folding form factor makes for an unusual arrangement. There are 3 cameras on the back, 1 on the front and 2 on the inside. Folded or unfolded, there’s always a camera available to photography what you want – you or your subject.
We finish with a classic “good news, bad news” situation. This isn’t some prototype for a future product, it’s very real – and it can be your starting from April 26 in the US and May 3 in Europe. It will even be available in LTE and 5G versions.
Table of Interests
Samsung Galaxy Fold Specifications
- 2G: GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900
- 3G: HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1700(AWS) / 1900 / 2100
- 4G: LTE
- Speed: HSPA, LTE-A
Announcement & Availability
- Announced: February, 2019
- Availability: Qtr 2, 2019
- Dimensions: mm
- Weight: g
- SIM: Nano-SIM
- Colours: Black
- Samsung Pay (Visa, MasterCard certified)
- Inner Display Type: Dynamic AMOLED capacitive touchscreen, 16M colors
- Size: 7.3 inches, 154.5 cm2
- Resolution: 1536 x 2152 pixels, 16:10 ratio (~414 ppi density)
- Cover display: 4.6 inches HD+ Super AMOLED (21:9)
- Android 9.0 (Pie)
- Chipset: Qualcomm SDM855 Snapdragon 855 (7 nm)
- CPU: Octa-core (1×2.84 GHz Kryo 485 & 3×2.42 GHz Kryo 485 & 4×1.8 GHz Kryo 485)
- GPU: Adreno 640
- RAM: 12 GB
- Internal Storage: 512 GB
- External Storage: No
- Main Camera: Triple – 12 MP, f/1.5-2.4, 26mm (wide), 1/2.55″, 1.4µm, Dual Pixel PDAF, OIS + 12 MP, f/2.4, 52mm (telephoto), 1/3.6″, 1.0µm, AF, OIS, 2x optical zoom + 16 MP, f/2.2, 12mm (ultrawide)
- Features: LED flash, HDR, panorama
- Video: [email protected]/60fps
- Selfie Camera: Dual – 10 MP, f/2.2, PDAF + 8 MP, f/1.9, depth sensor
- Cover camera: 10 MP, f/2.2
- Features: HDR
- Video: [email protected]
- Loudspeaker: Yes
- Audio 3.5mm jack: No
- 32-bit/384kHz audio
- Active noise cancellation with dedicated mic
- Dolby Atmos/AKG sound
- WLAN: Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, dual-band, Wi-Fi Direct, hotspot
- Bluetooth: 5.0, A2DP, LE, aptX HD
- GPS: Yes, with A-GPS, GLONASS, GALILEO, BDS
- NFC: Yes
- USB: 3.1, Type-C 1.0 reversible connector
- Sensors: Fingerprint (side-mounted), accelerometer, gyro, proximity, compass
- Bixby natural language commands and dictation
- Samsung DeX (desktop experience support)
Battery & Power
- Battery Type & Capacity: Non-removable Li-Po 4380 mAh battery
- Charging: Fast battery charging 18W
Samsung Galaxy Fold Price
- Price: $1,980 in the US and €2,000 in Europe