LG at the MWC 2019 unveiled the V50 ThinQ 5G as well as the G8 ThinQ and the G8s ThinQ.
LG is moving with the time as 5G smartphones are gradually making their ways to reality. The company is making 5G a major focus, so much so that it’s added it to the name of its flagship. The LG V50 ThinQ 5G is the company’s first 5G phone with a Snapdragon 855 chipset with an embedded Qualcomm X50 modem, promising “up to 20 times the speed of 4G”.
The LG V50 ThinQ looks similar to its predecessor thanks to essentially the same 6.4-inch 3120x1440px OLED FullVision display. LG has steered clear of the whole punch-hole craze and has stuck with a notch, which houses two selfie cameras – a standard 8MP one and a 5MP wide-angle one – just like the V40 ThinQ.
The triple camera on the rear has been carried over from the LG V40 ThinQ. The 12MP f/1.5 standard + 12MP f/2.4 telephoto + 16MP f/1.9 ultrawide triple camera is still quite capable and modern.
The LG V50 ThinQ 5G has gained a 20% larger battery than its predecessor at 4,000mAh. It also has stereo speakers, a 32-bit Hi-Fi Quad DAC, FM Radio and a body that’s MIL-STD 810G compliant.
There is no in-display fingerprint scanner and instead LG makes do with a fingerprint scanner on the rear and selfie camera-achieved face scanning on the front.
While LG is not hopping on the foldable phone train, it did create a wacky second screen case for the V50 ThinQ 5G. The Dual Screen accessory is a case with a second 6.2-inch 2160x1080px OLED screen that connects to the LG V50 ThinQ 5G through the pogo pins on its back.
The Dual Screen will enhance multitasking and gaming by giving you a second screen to work with and will work in either landscape or portrait, making the LG V50 ThinQ a foldable phone of sorts.
LG G8 ThinQ Specifications
- 2G: GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 – SIM 1 & SIM 2 (dual-SIM model only)
- CDMA 800 / 1900
- 3G: HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1700(AWS) / 1900 / 2100
- CDMA2000 1xEV-DO
- 4G: LTE
- 5G: Yes
- Speed: HSPA 42.2/5.76 Mbps, LTE-A, 5G
Announcement & Availability
- Announced: February, 2019
- Availability: 2019, Q2
- Dimensions: 159.2 x 76.1 x 8.3 mm
- Weight: 183 g
- Build: Front/back glass (Gorilla Glass 5), aluminum frame
- Colours: Astro Black
- SIM: Single SIM (Nano-SIM) or Dual SIM (Nano-SIM, dual stand-by)
- IP68 dust/water proof (up to 1.5m for 30 mins)
- MIL-STD-810G compliant
- Type: AMOLED capacitive touchscreen, 16M colors
- Size: 6.4 inches, 100.5 cm2 (~83.0% screen-to-body ratio)
- Resolution: 1440 x 3120 pixels, 19.5:9 ratio (~537 ppi density)
- Protection: Corning Gorilla Glass 5
- Dolby Vision
- Always-on display
- Android 9.0 (Pie)
- Chipset: Qualcomm SDM855 Snapdragon 855 (7 nm)
- CPU: Octa-core (1×2.84 GHz Kryo 485 & 3×2.42 GHz Kryo 485 & 4×1.8 GHz Kryo 485)
- GPU: Adreno 640
- RAM: 6 GB
- Internal Storage: 128 GB
- External Storage: microSD, up to 512 GB (dedicated slot)
- Main Camera: Triple – 12 MP, f/1.5, 27mm (standard), 1.4µm, /2.6″, 1.4µm, 3-axis OIS, dual pixel PDAF + 16 MP, f/1.9, 16mm (ultrawide), 1/3.1″, 1.0µm, no AF + 12 MP, 52mm (telephoto), f/2.4, 1.0µm, 2x optical zoom, OIS, PDAF [Triple or Dual camera (market dependent)]
- Features: LED flash, HDR, panorama
- Video: [email protected]/60fps, [email protected]/60/240fps, 24-bit/192kHz stereo sound rec., HDR video, gyro-EIS
- Selfie Camera: Dual – 8 MP, 26mm (standard), f/1.9, 1.4µm + 5 MP, 21mm (wide), f/2.2, 1.4µm
- Features: HDR
- Video: [email protected]
- FM Radio: Stereo FM radio with RDS
- Loudspeaker: Yes
- Audio 3.5mm jack: Yes
- 32-bit/192kHz audio
- 24-bit/48kHz audio recording
- DTS: X Surround Sound
- Tuned with Meridian Audio
- Active noise cancellation with dedicated mic
- WLAN: Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, dual-band, Wi-Fi Direct, DLNA, hotspot
- Bluetooth: 5.0, A2DP, LE, aptX HD
- GPS: Yes, with A-GPS, GLONASS, GALILEO
- NFC: Yes
- USB: 3.1, Type-C 1.0 reversible connector, USB On-The-Go
Sensors: Fingerprint (rear-mounted), accelerometer, gyro, proximity, compass, barometer
Battery & Power
- Battery Type & Capacity: Non-removable Li-Po 4000 mAh battery
- Charging: Fast battery charging 18W: 50% in 36 min (Quick Charge 3.0)
- USB Power Delivery 2.0
- Qi fast wireless charging 10W
LG G8 ThinQ Price
- Launch Price: To Be Announced
Disclaimer. We cannot guarantee that the information on this page is 100% correct.