We have seen the teasers, but finally everything is official – Huawei has introduced its foldable smartphone, called Mate X. It comes with 5G connectivity, based on Huawei’s modem called Baolong 5000, and it is the fastest 5G smartphone, claimed the company.
The device will also have 55W SuperCharge, making it the fastest charging smartphone, and Huawei says the Mate X can top up 85% of the battery in 30 minutes.
In tablet mode, the Mate X has an 8-inch screen with a resolution of 2480 x 2200 pixels. When the device is folded, the main part becomes 6.6-inch with a resolution of 2480 x 1148 pixels, which is the already known ratio of 19.5:9.
The other side plays the role of a secondary screen, similar to the nubia X and NEX Dual Display – there are both a display and a camera setup on the same side. Huawei said you’ll be able to take “best in class selfies,” without clarifying which class the Mate X is in. For proper photos, you need to use the primary screen that does have some bezels, but nothing extraordinary.
During a presentation to media that took place before the official event, Huawei said four cameras should be expected. However, the demo unit we saw had only three snappers. The company did not reveal any specs of the camera setup, but we can clearly see the Leica logo, so it should output flagship-tier images.
This device is advertised as “the world’s thinnest foldable phone” – it is 11 mm thick when the Mate X is folded. Unfolded, one side is just 5.4 mm, but some components like the camera still need room to operate properly, so you have a bump on one side of the Mate X.
All these specs need a huge battery, and Huawei delivered – a 4,500 mAh cell is powering the Mate X and is charged through a USB-C port on the bottom side of the bump. There is also a fingerprint scanner on the side, doubling as a power button.
Huawei Mate X Specifications
- 2G: GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 – SIM 1 & SIM 2
- 3G: HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1700(AWS) / 1900 / 2100
- 4G: LTE
- 5G: Yes
- Speed: HSPA 42.2/5.76 Mbps, LTE-A Cat21 1400/200 Mbps, 5G
Launch and Availability Date
- Announced: February, 2019
- Availability: 2019, Q2
- Dimensions (Unfolded):3 x 146.2 x 5.4 mm
- Folded: 161.3 x 78.3 x 11 mm
- Weight: 295 g
- Colours: Interstellar Blue
- SIM: Hybrid Dual SIM (Nano-SIM, dual stand-by)
- Type: AMOLED capacitive touchscreen, 16M colors
- Size: 8.0 inches, 205.0 cm2 (~86.9% screen-to-body ratio)
- Resolution: 2200 x 2480 pixels (~414 ppi density)
- Folded cover display: 6.6-inch, AMOLED, 1148 x 2480 pixels (19.5:9)
- Android 9.0 (Pie); EMUI 9.1
- Chipset: HiSilicon Kirin 980 (7 nm)
- CPU: Octa-core (2×2.6 GHz Cortex-A76 & 2×1.92 GHz Cortex-A76 & 4×1.8 GHz Cortex-A55)
- GPU: Mali-G76 MP10
- RAM: 8 GB
- Internal Storage: 512 GB
- External Storage: NM (Nano Memory), up to 256GB (uses SIM 2)
- Main Camera: Quad – 40 MP, f/1.8, 27mm (wide), 1/1.7″, PDAF + 16 MP, f/2.2, 17mm (ultrawide) + 8 MP, f/2.4, 52mm (telephoto) + TOF camera
- Features: Leica optics, dual-LED dual-tone flash, panorama, HDR
- Video: 2160p@30fps, 1080p@30fps
- Selfie Camera: –
- FM Radio: No
- Loudspeaker: Yes
- Audio 3.5mm jack: No
- Active noise cancellation with dedicated mic
- WLAN: Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, dual-band, Wi-Fi Direct, hotspot
- Bluetooth: 5.0, A2DP, LE, aptX HD
- GPS: Yes, with dual-band A-GPS, GLONASS, BDS, GALILEO, QZSS
- NFC: Yes
- Infrared port: Yes
- USB: 3.1, Type-C 1.0 reversible connector
- Fingerprint (side-mounted), accelerometer, gyro, proximity, compass, barometer
Battery & Power
- Battery Type & Capacity: Non-removable Li-Po 4500 mAh battery
- Charging: Fast battery charging 55W
- Huawei SuperCharge (85% in 30 min)
Huawei Mate X Price
Huawei Mate X will arrive in the middle of 2019 for €2,299 (that’s about $2,600) in only one color – Interstellar Blue.
Disclaimer. We cannot guarantee that the information on this page is 100% correct.