You are a fan of the Communicator form factor in mobile phones like me, the Cosmo Communicator will bring your memory back to sweet old feeling one had with the legendary Nokia Communicator.
Cosmo Communicator is a clamshell smartphone with a 2-inch display outside that opens up to reveal a 6-inch display and a backlit hardware QWERTY keyboard like a small laptop. Its design is a throwback to the days of the Psion palm tops and Nokia Communicators.
On the inside, however, this is a very up-to-date piece of work. For one, it runs Android Pie, with the option to also boot into Sailfish OS and Linux. There is a Mediatek Helio P70 chipset coupled with 6GB of RAM. Internal storage is 128GB. And for photography, there is a 24 megapixel camera.
The outer 2-inch display is for viewing your notifications. Open the Cosmo up to get productive. There is a fingerprint sensor too for security.
Planet Computers, the manufacturers, tout it as “a pocket computer, mobile phone and camera” rolled together in one.
Cosmo Communicator Specifications
- Networks: GSM, CDMA, WCDMA, 4G LTE
- SIM: Dual-SIM (second SIM is an eSIM)
- Dimensions: 171.4 x 78.3 x 16 mm
- Weight: 320g
- Colours: Space Grey Metal, Gold-plated (limited edition)
- Software/OS: Android 9 OS (Pie), Linux OS compatible
- External Display: 2 inches, 570 x 240 pixels, Scratch resistant glass.
- Internal Display: 5.99 inches, 2160 x 1080 pixels, AMOLED display.
- Sensors: Accelerometer, compass, light sensor, gyro, magneto-sensor
- Processor: Mediatek P70 Octa-core 2.0 GHz Cortex-A73
- GPU: ARM Mali G72 MP3 @800MHz
- RAM: 6GB
- Internal Memory: 128GB
- External memory: micro SD card
- External Camera: 24 megapixels
- Internal Camera: 5 megapixels
- USB: 2x USB Type C, OTG support, HDMI out (via adapter cable)
- Battery: Li-Ion 4220
- Others: NFC, 3.5mm audio jack.
Communicators once ruled the mobile world. Will Cosmo Communicator live up to that legacy in today’s world?
The Cosmo’s regular retail price is $799, but if you support the project, you can cop one for just $549. Supporters/backers get their units in Amy 2019. Move over to the Indeigogo page for details