We now have a now big boy feature in town – the season of slider phones. Huawei has announced the Honor Magic 2, this is arriving a week after the Xiaomi Mi Mix 3 make its debut and a day ahead of the Lenovo Z5 Pro.
The latest flagship by the Huawei subsidiary boasts of six cameras (three front-facing, three on the back), powered by the Kirin 980 chipset and impressively fast 40W charging. Oh goodness, there are also no notches at the front, thanks to the sliding mechanism.
The display panel is a 6.4-inch OLED panel with Full HD+ resolution in 19:9 ratio with a curved 2.5D glass on top. On the inside, we see the latest chipset by HiSilicon, coupled with either 6 GB RAM or 8 GB RAM. The storage is either 128 GB or 256 GB, but Honor skipped on the microSD slot.
The camera department is fascinating. There is a main 16 MP snapper, 24 MP Black & White monochrome sensor, and a 16 MP ultra wide-angle camera. With the lack of a telephoto lens, the Magic 2 goes in a completely different category from the other two camera beasts by Huawei – the P20 Pro with the telephoto camera, but no wide-angle lens, and the Mate 20 Pro that ditched the monochrome sensor.
The front setup is also unorthodox – the 16 MP selfie shooter is accompanied by two 2 MP depth sensors. If you don’t want to swipe the phone and reveal this whole setup, there is an under-display fingerprint scanner for all the security you might need.
Huawei was always about fast-charging, and the Magic 2 comes with 40W capabilities (10V/4A). It is called Magic Charge, and Honor claims it can charge 50% of the 3,400 mAh power cell in 15 minutes and reach 85% in the next quarter hour. It uses the USB-C port that doubles as an audio port since there is no 3.5 mm jack.
Checkout the full specs, features, availability and price of Honor Magic 2 below.
Huawei Honor Magic 2 Specifications
- 2G: GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 – SIM 1 & SIM 2 (dual-SIM model only)
- CDMA 800 & TD-SCDMA
- 3G: HSDPA 800 / 850 / 900 / 1700(AWS) / 1900 / 2100
- 4G: LTE band 1(2100), 2(1900), 3(1800), 4(1700/2100), 5(850), 6(900), 7(2600), 8(900), 12(700), 17(700), 19(800), 34(2000), 38(2600), 39(1900), 40(2300), 41(2500)
- Data Speed: HSPA 42.2/5.76 Mbps, LTE-A Cat21 1400/200 Mbps
SIM Type & Count
- Single SIM (Nano-SIM) or Hybrid Dual SIM (Nano-SIM, dual stand-by)
- Android 9.0 (Pie) / EMUI 9.0
Design & Build
- Dimensions: 157.3 x 75.1 x 8.3 mm
- Weight: 206 g
- Colours: Blue, Purple
- Type: AMOLED capacitive touchscreen, 16M colors
- Size: 6.39 inches, 100.2 cm2 (~84.8% screen-to-body ratio)
- Resolution: 1080 x 2340 pixels, 19.5:9 ratio (~403 ppi density)
- Multitouch: Yes
- DCI-P3 (100% coverage)
Hardware & Memory
- Chipset: HiSilicon Kirin 980 (7 nm)
- CPU: Octa-core (2×2.6 GHz Cortex-A76 & 2×1.92 GHz Cortex-A76 & 4×1.8 GHz Cortex-A55)
- GPU: Mali-G76 MP10
- RAM: 6 GB, 8 GB
- Internal Storage: 128 GB, 128/256 GB
- External Storage: microSD, up to 256 GB (uses SIM 2 slot)
- Main Camera
- Triple: 16 MP, f/1.8, PDAF + 16 MP, f/2.2 + 24 MP B/W, f/1.8
- Features: LED flash, panorama, HDR
- Video: 2160p@30fps, 1080p@30fps, 720p@480fps
- Front-facing Camera
- Triple: Mechanical pop-up 16 MP, f/2.0 + Mechanical pop-up 2 MP, f/2.4, depth sensor + Mechanical pop-up 2 MP, f/2.4, depth sensor
- Features: HDR
- Video: 1080p@30fps
- Music Support: MP3/eAAC+/WMA/WAV/FLAC player
- Video Support: DivX/XviD/MP4/H.265/WMV player
- FM Radio: No
- Loudspeaker: Yes
- 3.5mm jack: No
- Active noise cancellation with dedicated mic
- WLAN: Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, dual-band, Wi-Fi Direct, hotspot
- Bluetooth: 5.0, A2DP, aptX HD, LE
- GPS: Yes, with dual-band A-GPS, GLONASS, BDS, GALILEO, QZSS
- NFC: Yes
- USB: 3.1, Type-C 1.0 reversible connector, USB On-The-Go
- Sensors: Face ID, fingerprint (under display), accelerometer, gyro, proximity, compass
- Messaging: SMS (threaded view), MMS, Email, Push Email, IM
- Browser: HTML5
- Document editor
- Photo/video editor
- Charging: Fast battery charging 4A/10V 40W
- Battery Type & Capacity: Non-removable Li-Po 3500 mAh battery
Announcement & Availability Date
- Announced: October, 2018
- Availability: November, 2018
- 6/128 GB for CNY3,799 ($545/€480)
- 8/128 GB for CNY4,299 $620/€550)
- 8/256 GB for CNY4,799 ($700/€610)
Disclaimer: We cannot guarantee that the information on this page is 100% correct.