They are finally official – Google Pixel 3 and Pixel 3 XL. Just as the rumour mills foretold, the new Pixels came with little or no difference in various speculations. The Google Pixel 3 and its XL variant are in actual fact the same phone, except for their displays and batteries. However, there’s more to talk about, so let’s kick off.
Starting with the two tall OLED panels, the Pixel 3 XL variant sports a 6.3-inch diagonal with 1440 x 2960px resolution (532ppi). Its 18.5:9 aspect ratio houses the largest bezel in the smartphone kingdom.
Talking about the Pixel 3, it’s the same as the Pixel 2, but it comes with more screen – the 5.5” 18:9 screen gives you about 10% more surface area. For real, though, there’s no notch here. It has 1080 x 2160px resolution, so there’s no change in sharpness from last year.
The display panel support HDR, Always On and color modes. The HDR support makes it a YouTube Signature Device. The Pixel 3 screens (and backs) are protected by Gorilla Glass 5.
The Pixel 3 and XL phones are powered by a Snapdragon 845 chipset. Note that the CPU has been downclocked to 2.5GHz for the big cores and 1.6GHz for the small ones to save on battery power. The difference with other Snapdragon 845 implementations is just 0.2GHz, though, so it’s not too big a deal.
We are slightly disappointed that the memory options have not budged from last year. You get only 4GB of RAM (but then there’s no heavy Android skin) and storage is 64GB or 128GB (with no card slot to expand it).
The Battery (Charging)
The Pixel 3 XL has a 3,430mAh battery, slightly less than the 2017 model while the smaller Pixel is powered by a 2,915mAh battery – an increase over its direct predecessor.
The new Pixel phones now supports wireless charging. The Pixel Stand has the ability to charge at 10W, as fast as the wired charger of the Pixel 2 phones. The stand also allows your Pixel 3 phone to work as a Google Home, as a photo frame and even a sunrise alarm.
Wired charging is faster thanks to the 18W charger that’s included in the box. Google promises you’ll get 7 hours of usage for 15 minutes of charging.
Photography and Video
The main camera: The rear camera hardware still remain the same. There’s a single 12.2MP optically stabilized image sensor (with 1.4µm pixels) and an f/1.8 lens. The new features are on the software side. HDR+ is on board once again and is joined by Top Shot.
This is an AI system that works on the phone and makes sure everyone in the photo is in focus, smiling and has their eyes open. It automatically picks the best of several shots (you can view all of them in Google Photos). There’s also a Photobooth mode that will automatically snap a photo when you smile or make a goofy face.
Super Res Zoom is another AI application, it tries to make up for the lack of a telephoto lens by enhancing the detail of digital zoom.
The main camera still can’t shoot 4K video at 60fps. It does, however, have Fused Video Stabilization, which promises smoother videos while walking or jogging. It works at 4K/30, but offers the best results at 1080p.
Night Sight will be enabled with a software update coming soon. It uses AI to capture detailed low-light images without using the flash.
The front camera: The new Pixel 3 and Pixel 3 XL do have dual cameras – on the front. Both have 8MP sensors and different lenses, a wide-angle 97° one and a normal 75° one. The normal camera has a bright f/1.8 lens with autofocus (phase detection). The wide camera is fixed focus (f/2.2).
Price & availability
The two devices are expected to be available in the US starting October 19 and Europe from November 2. The Pixel 3 is €860 for the 64GB model and €960 for the 128GB one. The Pixel 3 XL is €960 and €1,060 respectively.
US prices start at $800 for the Pixel 3 and $900 for the Pixel 3 XL. In the UK it’s £739/£839 for the Pixel 3 and £869/£969 for the 3 XL.
Checkout the full specs, features, availability and price of Google Pixel 3 and Pixel 3 XL below.
Google Pixel 3 and Pixel 3 XL Specifications
- 2G: GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900
- CDMA 800 / 1900
- 3G: HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1700(AWS) / 1900 / 2100
- CDMA2000 1xEV-DO
- 4G: LTE band 1(2100), 2(1900), 3(1800), 4(1700/2100), 5(850), 7(2600), 8(900), 12(700), 13(700), 17(700), 18(800), 19(800), 20(800), 25(1900), 26(850), 28(700), 29(700), 32(1500), 38(2600), 40(2300), 41(2500), 66(1700/2100), 71(600)
- Data Speed: HSPA 42.2/5.76 Mbps, LTE-A (5CA) Cat16 1024/75 Mbps
SIM Type & Count
- Nano-SIM card & eSIM
- Android 9.0 (Pie)
Design & Build
- Dimensions: 145.6 x 68.2 x 7.9 mm / 158 x 76.7 x 7.9 mm (XL model)
- Weight: 148 g / 184 (XL model)
- Build: Front/back glass (Gorilla Glass 5), aluminum frame
- Colours: Clearly White, Just Black, Not Pink
- IP68 dust/water resistant (up to 1.5m for 30 mins)
- Type: P-OLED capacitive touchscreen, 16M colors
- Size: 5.5 inches, 76.7 cm2 (~77.2% screen-to-body ratio) / 6.3 inches, 100.3 cm2 (~82.8% screen-to-body ratio) (XL model)
- Resolution: 1080 x 2160 pixels, 18:9 ratio (443 ppi density) / 1440 x 2960 pixels, 18.5:9 ratio (523 ppi density) (XL model)
- Multitouch: Yes
- Protection: Corning Gorilla Glass 5
- Always-on display
- 100% DCI-P3 coverage
Hardware & Memory
- Chipset: Qualcomm SDM845 Snapdragon 845 (10 nm)
- CPU: Octa-core (4×2.5 GHz Kryo 385 Gold & 4×1.6 GHz Kryo 385 Silver)
- GPU: Adreno 630
- RAM: 4 GB
- Internal Storage: 64/128 GB
- External Storage: No
- Main Camera
- Front-facing Camera
- Dual: 8 MP, f/1.8, 28mm (wide), PDAF + 8 MP, f/2.2, 19mm (ultrawide), no AF
- Features: Auto-HDR
- Video: [email protected]
- Music Support: MP3/WAV/eAAC+ player
- Video Support: MP4/H.265 player
- FM Radio: No
- Loudspeaker: Yes, with stereo speakers
- 3.5mm jack: No
- Active noise cancellation with dedicated mic
- Type-C to 3.5 mm headphone jack adapter
- WLAN: Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, dual-band, Wi-Fi Direct, DLNA, hotspot
- Bluetooth: 5.0, A2DP, LE, aptX HD
- GPS: Yes, with A-GPS, GLONASS, BDS, GALILEO
- NFC: Yes
- USB: 3.1, Type-C 1.0 reversible connector (PowerDelivery 2.0)
- Sensors: Fingerprint (rear-mounted), accelerometer, gyro, proximity, compass, barometer
- Messaging: SMS (threaded view), MMS, Email, Push Email, IM
- Browser: HTML5
- Photo/video editor
- Document editor
- Charging: Fast battery charging 9V/2A 18W
- Wireless Charging: QI wireless charging
- Battery Type & Capacity: Non-removable Li-Ion 2915 mAh battery / Non-removable Li-Ion 3430 mAh battery (XL model)
Announcement & Availability Date
- Announced: October 9, 2018
- Availability: November 2, 2018
- 64 GB model costs €860 / €960 (XL model)
- 128 GB Variant costs €960 / €1,060 (XL model)
Disclaimer: We cannot guarantee that the information on this page is 100% correct.