Apple says the new iPad Pro is more powerful than 92% of laptops out there and it’s running the full-blown versions of Adobe Photoshop and Autodesk AutoCAD and, yes, it could easily transform into a laptop-like device with keyboard or even a desktop with an external monitor.
Starting from the display unit, with thinner bezels, Apple fit larger screen in the same body on the iPad Pro 11 and the same screen in a smaller body on iPad Pro 12.9.
The new tablets comes in 11-inch and 12.9-inch, in both cases with super-sharp Liquid Retina displays with rounded corners. As part of the slimming down of bezels, Apple dropped the Touch ID sensor in favor of Face ID. An added benefit is that the tablet now rotates its screen based on your face rather than relying on the sometimes unreliable accelerometer.
The new Apple A12X Bionic chipset is a proper beast and it can handle desktop tasks with ease. It still has an octa-core processor (4 big, 4 small), but now all eight cores can run at full throttle. The GPU has been upgraded to a 7-core design. Compared to previous iPad Pros, you get 35% faster single-core and 90% (!) faster multi-core performance.
That 3GB file takes up plenty of storage, but thanks to a new memory controller chip, the Pros can have up to 1TB of fast storage. The base models still start at 64GB, though and upgrades aren’t exactly cheap.
Speaking of the Pencil, it now attaches to the tablet with magnets and instantly begins charging wirelessly. No more plugging it into the Lightning port! Actually, no Lightning port at all.
The new Apple iPad Pros features a USB-C port, which works the same way it does on a MacBook. You can hook up an external monitor, a DSLR or even charge your phone with a USB-C to Lighting cable. See, just like a MacBook.
The iPad Pro was also demoed handling an insane 3GB PSD file with 170 layers and 12,000 x 12,000px resolution – big enough to print on a huge poster. But why print when Adobe’s Project Aero can turn it into an interactive AR presentation. Back to Photoshop, the UI may have been fully re-imagined for touch (and Pencil control), but the engine is a port of the full desktop app. The Pencil now supports a double tap gesture that switches between tools in Photoshop and does whatever devs want it to in other apps.
The new iPad Pros are available for pre-order today and ship out on November 7. There are Wi-Fi only and LTE versions (with nanoSIM and eSIM). They come bundled with a fast 18W charger.
Checkout the full specs, features, availability and price of Apple iPad Pro 11 / Pro 12.9 (2018) below.
Apple iPad Pro 11 / Pro 12.9 (2018) Specifications
- 2G: GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900
- CDMA 800 / 1900
- 3G: HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1700(AWS) / 1900 / 2100
- CDMA2000 1xEV-DO
- 4G: LTE
- Data Speed: HSPA 42.2/5.76 Mbps, LTE-A (4CA) Cat16 1024/150 Mbps, EV-DO Rev.A 3.1 Mbps / HSPA 42.2/5.76 Mbps, LTE-A (4CA) Cat16 1024/150 Mbps, EV-DO Rev.A 3.1 Mbps (Pro 12.9 (2018))
SIM Type & Count
- Nano-SIM/ Electronic SIM card (Apple e-SIM)
- iOS 12
Design & Build
- Dimensions: 247.6 x 178.5 x 5.9 mm / 280.6 x 214.9 x 5.9 mm (Pro 12.9 (2018))
- Weight: 468 g / 631 g (Wi-Fi), 633 g (LTE) (Pro 12.9 (2018))
- Colours: Silver, Space Gray
- Stylus (Bluetooth integration; magnetic)
- Type: LED-backlit IPS LCD, capacitive touchscreen, 16M colors
- Size: 11.0 inches, 366.5 cm2 (~82.9% screen-to-body ratio) / 12.9 inches, 515.3 cm2 (~85.4% screen-to-body ratio) (Pro 12.9 (2018))
- Resolution: 1668 x 2388 pixels (~265 ppi density) / 2048 x 2732 pixels, 4:3 ratio (~265 ppi density) (Pro 12.9 (2018))
- Multitouch: Yes
- Protection: Scratch-resistant glass, oleophobic coating
- Wide color gamut display
- True-tone display
- 120 Hz
Hardware & Memory
- Chipset: Apple A12X Bionic (7 nm)
- CPU: Octa-core (4x Vortex + 4x Tempest)
- GPU: Apple GPU (7-core graphics)
- RAM: GB
- Internal Storage: 64/256/512 GB or 1 TB
- External Storage: No
- Main Camera
- Single: 12 MP, f/1.8, 1/3″, PDAF
- Features: Quad-LED dual-tone flash, HDR
- Video: 2160p@30/60fps, 1080p@30/60/120fps, 720p@240fps
- Front-facing Camera
- Single: 7 MP, f/2.2, 32mm (standard)
- Features: Face detection, HDR, panorama
- Video: 1080p@30fps
- Music Support: MP3/WAV/AAX+/AIFF/Apple Lossless player
- Video Support: MP4/H.264 player
- FM Radio: No
- Loudspeaker: Yes, with stereo speakers (4 speakers)
- 3.5mm jack: No
- Active noise cancellation with dedicated mic
- WLAN: Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, dual-band, hotspot
- Bluetooth: 5.0, A2DP, LE, EDR
- GPS: Yes, with A-GPS, GLONASS, GALILEO, QZSS (Wi‑Fi + Cellular model only)
- USB: 3.1, Type-C 1.0 reversible connector; magnetic connector
- Sensors: Face ID, accelerometer, gyro, proximity, barometer
- Messaging: iMessage, Email, Push Email, IM
- Browser: HTML5 (Safari)
- Siri natural language commands and dictation
- iCloud cloud service
- Audio/video/photo editor
- Document editor
- Power Bank/Reverse charging
- Battery Type & Capacity: Non-removable Li-Po battery (29.37 Wh) / (36.71 Wh) (Pro 12.9 (2018))
Announcement & Availability Date
- Announced: October 30, 2018
- Availability: November, 2018
- 11-inch 64 GB Wi-Fi variant: $800,
- 11-inch 64 GB Cellular variant: $950,
- 12.9-inch 64 GB Wi-Fi variant: $1,000,
- 12.9-inch 64 GB Cellular variant: $1,150,
Apple iPad Pro Accessories Price List
- Apple Pencil: $130,
- 11-inch keyboard case: $180,
- 12.9-inch keyboard case: $200.
Disclaimer: We cannot guarantee that the information on this page is 100% correct.