Apple has just unveiled its new sets of smartphones iPhone XR, iPhone XS and iPhone XS Max. The XR is the last of iPhones that still uses an LCD screen While the XR and its Max model makes use of AMOLED display.
Apple iPhone XS Max
The iPhone Xs Max is the largest iPhone in history with a whopping 6.5-inch AMOLED display. It has a tall 19.5:9 aspect ratio with a notch in front. The new screen has basically the same width as the 5.5-inches panel on the iPhone 8 Plus, but the extra height put up additional content.
Apple is sticking with 64GB as the base storage, but the highest capacity is now 512GB to answer the challenge from Android flagships. The 256GB option is now the middle ground.
The new “Super Retina” display maintains the 458ppi pixel density of the iPhone X by jerking up the resolution to 1,242 x 2,688px. For smoother operation, the screen’s touch sensing layer runs at 120Hz (but the UI still renders at 60fps). The display still supports HDR10 and Dolby Vision, but the dynamic range has been increased by 60%.
Long live Face ID as Touch ID is dead. Apple is still adamant to move the fingerprint reader to the back, leaving the 3D face scanner as the only biometric authentication system.
Camera-wise, the dual 12MP camera has been completely overhauled. The main wide-angle shooter has an all-new sensor with larger pixels – 1.4µm, up from 1.22µm. The aperture remains at f/1.8. The telephoto camera uses a 12MP sensor, f/2.4 lens with 2x optical zoom (and it has OIS).
The selfie camera has been improved as well. The 7MP RGB sensor has improved in speed if not in resolution.
The iPhone XS models have a stainless steel chassis and a new formulation for the scratch-resistant glass – Apple claims it’s the most durable on a phone. Apple also bumped up the water resistance to IP68, so your iPhone should survive for half an hour under 2 meters of water (or beer, apparently Apple tests for every scenario).
Checkout the full specs, features, availability and price of iPhone XS Max below.
iPhone XS Max Specifications
- 2G: GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900
- CDMA 800 / 1900
- 3G: HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1700(AWS) / 1900 / 2100
- CDMA2000 1xEV-DO
- 4G: LTE band 1(2100), 2(1900), 3(1800), 4(1700/2100), 5(850), 7(2600), 8(900), 12(700), 13(700), 14(700), 17(700), 18(800), 19(800), 20(800), 25(1900), 26(850), 29(700), 30(2300), 32(1500), 34(2000), 38(2600), 39(1900), 40(2300), 41(2500), 46, 66(1700/2100), 71(600)
- Data Speed: HSPA 42.2/5.76 Mbps, LTE-A (4CA) Cat16 1024/150 Mbps, EV-DO Rev.A 3.1 Mbps
SIM Type & Count
- Single SIM (Nano-SIM) or Dual SIM (Nano-SIM, dual stand-by) – for China
- iOS 12
Design & Build
- Dimensions: 157.5 x 77.4 x 7.7 mm
- Weight: 208 g
- Build: Front/back glass, stainless steel frame
- Colours: Space Gray, Silver, Gold
- IP68 dust/water resistant (up to 2m for 30 mins)
- Apple Pay (Visa, MasterCard, AMEX certified)
- Type: Super AMOLED capacitive touchscreen, 16M colors
- Size: 6.5 inches, 102.9 cm2 (~84.4% screen-to-body ratio)
- Resolution: 1242 x 2688 pixels, 19.5:9 ratio (~458 ppi density)
- Multitouch: Yes
- Protection: Scratch-resistant glass, oleophobic coating
- Dolby Vision/HDR10 compliant
- Wide color gamut display
- 3D Touch display
- True-tone display
- 120 Hz touch-sensing
Hardware & Memory
- Chipset: Apple A12 Bionic
- CPU: Hexa-core
- GPU: Apple GPU (4-core graphics)
- RAM: 4 GB
- Internal Storage: 64/256/512 GB
- External Storage: No
- Main Camera
- Dual: 12 MP, f/1.8, 28mm, 1/2.6″, 1.4µm, OIS, PDAF + 12 MP, f/2.4, 52mm, 1.0µm, OIS, PDAF, 2x optical zoom
- Features: Quad-LED dual-tone flash, HDR (photo/panorama)
- Video: 2160p@24/30/60fps, 1080p@30/60/120/240fps, HDR, stereo sound rec.
- Front-facing Camera
- Single: 7 MP, f/2.2, 32mm
- Features: HDR
- Video: 1080p@60fps
- Music Support: MP3/WAV/AAX+/AIFF/Apple Lossless player
- Video Support: MP4/H.265 player
- FM Radio: No
- Loudspeaker: Yes, with stereo speakers
- 3.5mm jack: No
- Active noise cancellation with dedicated mic
- WLAN: Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, dual-band, hotspot
- Bluetooth: 5.0, A2DP, LE
- GPS: Yes, with A-GPS, GLONASS, GALILEO, QZSS
- NFC: Yes
- USB: 2.0, proprietary reversible connector
- Sensors: Face ID, accelerometer, gyro, proximity, compass, barometer
- Messaging: iMessage, SMS (threaded view), MMS, Email, Push Email
- Browser: HTML5 (Safari)
- Siri natural language commands and dictation
- iCloud cloud service
- Audio/video/photo editor
- Document editor
- Charging: Fast battery charging: 50% in 30 min
- Qi wireless charging
- Battery Type & Capacity: Non-removable Li-Ion battery
Announcement & Availability Date
- Announced: September 12, 2018
- Availability: September 21, 2018
- Launched Price: 64GB Model costs $1,100/€1,249/£1,099
Disclaimer: We cannot guarantee that the information on this page is 100% correct.