One of the most anticipated device in 2018 is finally official – the Samsung Galaxy Note9 is the latest baby in the Samsung’s Note lineup. At first peep the new Note looks like a small update over the Galaxy Note8, however, there are a swarm of meaningful enhancements.
The Samsung Galaxy Note9 has mostly retained the footprint of its predecessor but added a bigger 6.4-inch screen (notchless, naturally) and a 20% bigger 4,000mAh battery.
The Galaxy Note9 comes with the biggest flagship screen Samsung has ever put on a phone. It comes with 6.4-inch which is just 0.1-inch bigger than the Galaxy Note8’s. The screen has 1440x2960px resolution, resulting in a measly deduction of 5ppi. The Super AMOLED unit is HDR10 compliant and supports Always On Display. Great!
Samsung is yet to incorporate the under the display fingerprint scanner on the Galaxy Note9 but it’s now positioned in a more sensible plce, center position under the dual camera module.
As far as camera is concerned, that camera array which accomplanied the Galaxy S9+’s system of a 12MP dual-aperture f/1.5-2.4 wide and 12MP f/2.4 telephoto cameras – both optically stabilized and both polished with Samsung’s new Intelligent Camera, which will detect scenes, optimize colors and contrast and detect flaws such as a smudgy lens or subject that has closed his eyes. The selfie camera has remained the same 8MP f/1.7 snapper.
Other inheritances from the Samsung Galaxy S9/S9+ is the chipset – Exynos 9810 Octa – and the inclusion of stereo speakers (finally). The Galaxy Note9 is of course IP68 water resistant, as is the S Pen itself.
Samsung knows that the S Pen is probably the biggest reason people buy Galaxy Note phones, so they made the newest one much smarter.
This is the first Bluetooth-enabled S Pen and it can act as a remote shutter for the camera. The S Pen has a range of 10 meters and a battery power of about 30 minutes (or 200 clicks). It recharges in only 40 seconds in its holster inside the phone. The S Pen now supports three imputs – short press, long press and double press.
Samsung is expected to release an SDK to open the new S Pen to developers.
Samsung has updated the DeX on the Galaxy Note9. First off there’s no longer a need for a DeX Dock and a physical keyboard and mouse – the Galaxy Note9 can enter DeX mode through a single USB-C to HDMI cable. In DeX mode the Galaxy Note9 is fully functional and can be used as a keyboard and trackpad.
It’s embarrassment that the bigger battery can be topped up at the outdated Quick Charge 2.0 speeds. The Galaxy Note9 supports Fast Wireless Charging as well.
Checkout the full specs, features, availability and price of Samsung Galaxy Note9 below.
Samsung Galaxy Note9 Specifications
- 2G: GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 – SIM 1 & SIM 2 (dual-SIM model only)
- 3G: HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1700(AWS) / 1900 / 2100
- 4G: LTE band 1(2100), 2(1900), 3(1800), 4(1700/2100), 5(850), 7(2600), 8(900), 12(700), 13(700), 17(700), 18(800), 19(800), 20(800), 25(1900), 26(850), 28(700), 32(1500), 38(2600), 39(1900), 40(2300), 41(2500), 66(1700/2100)
- Data Speed: HSPA 42.2/5.76 Mbps, LTE-A (5CA) Cat18 1200/200 Mbps
SIM Type and Count
- Single SIM (Nano-SIM) or Hybrid Dual SIM (Nano-SIM, dual stand-by)
- Android 8.1 (Oreo)
Design & Build
- Dimensions: 161.9 x 76.4 x 8.8 mm
- Weight: 201 g
- Build: Front/back glass (Gorilla Glass 5), aluminum frame
- Colours: Metallic copper, Lavender purple, Ocean blue, Midnight black
- Samsung Pay (Visa, MasterCard certified)
- IP68 dust/water proof (up to 1.5m for 30 mins)
- Stylus (Bluetooth integration)
- Type: Super AMOLED capacitive touchscreen, 16M colors
- Size: 6.4 inches, 103.2 cm2 (~83.4% screen-to-body ratio)
- Resolution: 1440 x 2960 pixels, 18.5:9 ratio (~516 ppi density)
- Multitouch: Yes
- Protection: Corning Gorilla Glass 5
- HDR10 compliant
- Always-on display
Hardware & Memory
- Chipset: Exynos 9810 Octa – EMEA, Qualcomm SDM845 Snapdragon 845 – USA/LATAM, China
- CPU: Octa-core (4×2.7 GHz Mongoose M3 & 4×1.8 GHz Cortex-A55) – EMEA, Octa-core (4×2.8 GHz Kryo 385 Gold & 4×1.7 GHz Kryo 385 Silver) – USA/LATAM, China
- GPU: Mali-G72 MP18 – EMEA, Adreno 630 – USA/LATAM, China
- RAM: 6 GB, 8 GB
- Internal Storage: 128 GB, 512 GB
- External Storage: microSD, up to 512 GB (uses SIM 2 slot) – dual SIM model only
- Main Camera
- Front-facing Camera
- Single: 8 MP, f/1.7, 25mm, 1/3.6″, 1.22µm, AF
- Feature: Dual video call, Auto-HDR
- Video: [email protected]
- Music Support: MP3/WAV/eAAC+/FLAC player
- Video Support: MP4/DivX/XviD/H.265 player
- FM Radio: No
- Loudspeaker: Yes, with stereo speakers
- 3.5mm jack: Yes
- 32-bit/384kHz audio
- Active noise cancellation with dedicated mic
- WLAN: Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, dual-band, Wi-Fi Direct, hotspot
- Bluetooth: 5.0, A2DP, LE, aptX
- GPS: Yes, with A-GPS, GLONASS, BDS, GALILEO
- NFC: Yes
- USB: 3.1, Type-C 1.0 reversible connector
- Sensors: Iris scanner, fingerprint (rear-mounted), accelerometer, gyro, proximity, compass, barometer, heart rate, SpO2
- Messaging: SMS (threaded view), MMS, Email, Push Email, IM
- Browser: HTML5
- Samsung DeX (desktop experience support)
- ANT+ support
- Bixby natural language commands and dictation
- Photo/video editor
- Document editor
- Charging: Fast battery charging (Quick Charge 2.0)
- Wireless Charging: Qi/PMA wireless charging (market dependent)
- Battery Type & Capacity: Non-removable Li-Ion 4000 mAh battery
Announcement & Availability Date
- Announced: August 9, 2018
- Availability: August 24, 2018
- 6GB/128GB model – $999
- 8GB/512GB model – $1,250
Disclaimer: We cannot guarantee that the information on this page is 100% correct.