If you have just collected yourÂ Verve card and have been trying to use it to make an online payment, it’s like trying to force out the sun in the mid-night. However, it’s not something impossible, there’s one little thing you actually need to do in order to make it work for online transactions. All you need is just to set up your Safetoken.
Now, in this article, you are going to know what Safetoken is, what it is meant for and how to activate it.
What Is A SafeToken?
In simple terms, Safetoken works like your hardware or SMS token. The system generates a One-Time-Password (OTP) whenever a transaction is initiated through Interswitchâ€™s Web Payment Platform. As you may already know, Verve cards run on Interswitchâ€™s network. While your Verve card has the standard security features like PIN and SVV code, Safetoken is an extra layer of protection for your transactions.
As mentioned earlier, you need to activate Safetoken on your card in order to be able to generate a One-Time-Password (OTP) when carrying out an online transaction.
How To Activate Safetoken For Your Verve Card
Just walk or drive up to an ATM and follow the steps below:
- Insert your Verve card in the ATM card slot
- Type in your 4-digit PIN and press Enter
- Select your bank account that the card is tied to
- Select â€˜Quicktellerâ€™
- Select â€˜Pay Billsâ€™
- Select â€˜Othersâ€™
- Enter â€˜322222â€ as the Biller Code
- Enter your phone number as â€˜Customer Referenceâ€™
- Accept the N1.00 amount displayed
- Click on â€œPay Amount Dueâ€
- You should get a successful activation notification
Do not forget that the phone number you enter must be the one associated with your Verve card.
Your Verve card is now ready for online transactions. Anytime you need to make a payment online and an OTP is required of you, Interswitch will send it to you via SMS. Just enter the OTP to complete your transaction.
You Can Get An Safetoken OTP via USSD Too
Note that you can also generate OTP for use during online transactions by dialing a shortcode on your registered line. Here is how to do that:
- Dial *322*0# using your registered number
- A list of your existing cards will be displayed
- Select the bank you wish OTP to be generated for by typing the number it is ie. 1, 2 etc
- An OTP is generated and displayed for your use
- Enter OTP on the website you are using your Verve card on to complete your payment.
Other ways to get Safetoken OTP
Besides dialing a USSD code, you can get a transaction OTP through the following alternative means:
- By adding your Verve card to theÂ Quickteller App
- By Email
- By textingÂ â€œBankName OTPâ€Â toÂ 32122Â (ClickÂ hereÂ for list of Banks)*