Not many knows that today, March 10 is an unofficial day started by gamers to celebrate Nintendoâ€™s most beloved character, â€œMAR10. Google joins the celebration by updating the Google Maps app for iOS and Android to feature Super Mario driving a Kart.
Instead of your location arrow, Mario will appear while you navigate. The update is already rolling out.
In order to call upon Mario, youâ€™ll first have to be updated to the latest version of Google Maps. Choose a place or address to navigate to and youâ€™ll see a â€œ?â€ block next to the â€œNavigateâ€ button. A silly message shows up from the worldâ€™s favorite cartoon plumber. Oh yeah! Mario time! With a â€œLetâ€™s-A-Goâ€ Navigate button.
Since itâ€™s only Mario day, you canâ€™t choose Luigi, Peach, Toad, or any of the other Mario Kart characters. There is an Easter egg though. If you rapidly tap the â€œ?â€ block 100 times, youâ€™ll hear the 1-UP sound effect as youâ€™d hear in other Mario games.
This definitely gets us hyped for the upcoming Mario Kart Tour game set to release for iOS and Android. Sadly, weâ€™ve still got another year to wait before March 2019.
How To Activate Mario Time in Google Maps:
- Open the latest version of the Google Maps app for iOS or Android.
- Pull up driving directions, like you normally would do.
- Look for the yellow “?” icon to the left of the regular Start button and tap it.
- You should see the cartoon plumber on a kart, instead of an arrow in a circle.
To Activate The Easter egg in Mario Time:
- Follow the above steps (activate Mario Time in Google Maps).
- Now, tap the yellow â€œ?â€ icon 100 times.
And Thatâ€™s all.