CAT has unveiled its second-generation phone with a thermal camera – the CAT S61. Actually, the company refers the phone as “tool”, that more than just a phone. This should mean something to you.
It features an upgraded FLIR thermal imaging camera with an expanded temperature range from -20°C to 400°C (-4°F—752°F) and higher resolution too – from VGA up to HD. The updated MyFlir app lets you livestream thermal video or get help from the community.
There’s more to the above – the phone now features a laser-assisted distance measurement tool. You can measure point-to-point distance up to 10m (33ft) and calculate area. This tool actually saves all the data, so you can do additional measurements even after you leave the site.
Then there’s the indoor air quality sensor (from Sensirion), which tracks Volatile Organic Compounds (VOC), including paints, solvents, cleaning products and more. The CAT S61 will alert you when it detects an unhealthy environment.
The phone itself is built to go into your toolbox. It has a reinforced die-cast aluminum frame and lives up to both MIL-STD-810G and IP68 standards. It can survive 3m of water for an hour or drops onto concrete from 1.8m. It can weather extreme temperatures – from -30°C to 65°C – for a day and it’s resistant to humidity and salt mist.
The screen is protected by Gorilla Glass 5, of course – is 5.2” big and has 1080p resolution. It’s bright (optimized for outdoor use) and you can use it with gloves or wet fingers. For regular photos, there’s a 16MP camera on the back (4K video) and an 8MP selfie camera.
CAT will be presenting the S61 at the MWC and will start selling it globally in Q2 through select retailers and carriers.
Checkout the full specs of the CAT S61 below.
CAT S61 Specifications
- 2G: GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 – SIM 1 & SIM 2 (dual-SIM model only)
- 3G: HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1700 / 1900 / 2100 – EU/ROW, HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1700(AWS) / 1900 / 2100 – USA
- 4G: LTE band 1(2100), 2(1900), 3(1800), 5(850), 7(2600), 8(900), 19(800), 20(800), 26(850), 28(700), 38(2600), 39(1900), 40(2300), 41(2500) – EU/ROW, LTE band 1(2100), 2(1900), 3(1800), 4(1700/2100), 5(850), 7(2600), 8(900), 12(700), 13(700), 17(700), 25(1900), 26(850), 28(700), 29(700), 66(1700/2100) – USA
- Data Speed: HSPA 42.2/5.76 Mbps, LTE-A (3CA) Cat12 600/150 Mbps
SIM Type and Count
- Single SIM (Nano-SIM) – South Africa only, Dual SIM (Nano-SIM, dual stand-by)
- Android 8.0 (Oreo)
Design & Build
- Dimensions: 150 x 76 x 13 mm
- Weight: –
- IP68 certified – dust/water proof over 3 meters and 60 minutes
- Drop-to-concrete resistance up to 1.8 m
- MIL-STD-810G compliant
- Colours: Black
- Type: IPS LCD capacitive touchscreen, 16M colors
- Size: 5.2 inches
- Resolution: 1080 x 1920 pixels, 16:9 ratio (424 PPI)
- Multitouch: Yes
- Protection: Corning Gorilla Glass 5
Hardware & Memory
- Chipset: Qualcomm SDM630 Snapdragon 630
- CPU: Octa-core 2.2 GHz Cortex-A53
- GPU: Adreno 508
- RAM: 4 GB
- Internal Storage: 64 GB
- External Storage: microSD, up to 256 GB (dedicated slot)
- Rear: 16 MP, phase detection autofocus, dual-LED dual-tone flash; FLIR thermal camera (Lepton module)
- Features: Thermal imaging, heat palettes, temp. spot meter, geo-tagging, touch focus, face detection, panorama
- Video: 2160p@30fps
- Front-facing: 8 MP
- Music Support: MP3/eAAC+/WAV player
- Video Support: MP4/H.265 player
- FM Radio: Yes
- Loudspeaker: Yes
- 5mm jack: Yes
- WLAN: Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n, Wi-Fi Direct, hotspot
- Bluetooth: 5.0, A2DP, LE
- GPS: Yes, with A-GPS, GLONASS, GALILEO, QZSS
- NFC: Yes
- USB: 2.0, Type-C 1.0 reversible connector
- Sensors: Accelerometer, gyro, proximity, compass, barometer, indoor air quality sensor
- Messaging: SMS (threaded view), MMS, Email, Push Email, IM
- Browser: HTML5
- Others: Document viewer, Photo/video editor
- Laser-assisted distance measurement tool
- Charging: Fast battery charging (Quick Charge 4.0)
- Battery: Non-removable Li-Ion 4500 mAh battery
Announcement & Availability Date
- Announced: February, 2018
- Released: Q2 of 2018
- Launched Price: €899 / £799 / $999
Disclaimer: We cannot guarantee that the information on this page is 100% correct.