In the Blogger platform, as a blogger, you always want to add a new widget or a functionality to your blog and from a tutorials, you were asked to make changes to your templates. So it is important to have a backed-up template so if anything goes wrong you can always fall back to the previous version.
Below are some of the reasons for backing up your template.
- Making changes to Blogger templates to add functionality or change design
- When trying out new themes / template
- Using the template / theme again on another blogger blog
So let’s go straight to the point and here are the steps for backing up a template / theme.
Note that I am going to use the terms “template” and “theme” interchangeably.
We have a video tutorial for you for better understanding.
Backing Up the Template on BlogSpot
- Log-into your Blogger account to go to your Dashboard.
- From the blog’s drop-down list choose the blog
- On the left pane choose the “Theme” option
- In the Theme section page, click on the “Backup / Restore” button on the top right corner of the page
- A dialog box may appear, to download the template backup click on the orange “Download” button as shown below:
- Go to your download folder, you are supposed to find file with a name similar to theme-123456789012345678.xml. This file is the backup template / theme file, it can be used to recover your template / theme on Blogger.
And that is all. Ensure you make it a culture to backup your template before making any changes to it.