Unrest over N30
The Unrest started on Monday, January 31, on Mojeed Street,
Igando Lagos, when a 40-year-old Hausa trader, Ibrahim Adamu, was alleged to
have killed Lekan Adeleke, a bus driver.
Residents and family of the late Lekan apparently blocked
the street, made bon fire and chased Hausa traders out of the zone.

ThePunch reported that the trouble started when the deceased
bought noodles worth N230 from the suspect’s son on Sunday, January 29, around
10.30pm, paid N200 and promised to bring the balance of N30 the following day.
This offer was rejected by the suspect’s son.
The son allegedly reported this to his father, Adamu, who
became so irate and attacked the 30-year-old Adeleke with a spiked plank.
The victim was said to have slumped and hit his head against
the concrete edge of a gutter in the area.
An acquaintance of the victim, Kehinde Akinduro, said Adamu
had a kiosk where he sold confectioneries, while the son sold noodles beside
the kiosk. He claimed that Adeleke had even paid the balance of N30 to the
suspect’s son.
He was joking with
the boy that despite being a customer, he went and reported him to his father.
They started abusing each other. At this time, the son was already preparing
noodles for me on the instruction of Adeleke,”
said Kehinde.
He stated further: “The
next thing I saw was that Adamu, who was eavesdropping, brought out a spiked
plank and hit Adeleke with it. I cautioned him, but he faced me and hit me in
the leg. I sustained some injuries.
“When Adeleke saw that
he could no longer handle the situation, he took to his heels. But the man
followed him and hit him in the head as he tried to jump the gutter. He fell
and hit his head against the edge of the gutter.
“When Adamu saw that
he had become unconscious, he took him into his kiosk and poured water on his
head. He was doing this when a large number of residents stormed the place.
When he sighted them, he abandoned the man and took to his heels.”
He said the suspect,
speaking in Hausa, asked his son to flee in another direction.
“The boy escaped, but
we were able to get Adamu. We called the police and handed him over to them.”

The crowd was said to have demolished Adamu’s kiosk and set
it on fire after Adeleke died around 12am on Monday.
The police public relations officer (PRO), SP Dolapo Badmos,
briefed the reporters that investigations were ongoing.

The PRO said: “It was
a case of murder. One Adamu used a plank to hit a bus driver, Adeleke, in the
head which led to his death. The corpse was deposited in the Mainland General
Hospital morgue for autopsy.”


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here